Whether you know a breastfeeding or pumping mom or you are one, these lactation brownie boobie bites are a delicious way to increase breastmilk supply.
Made with a regular box of store-bought brownie mix plus important galactagogues, this lactation brownie recipe is super easy to make in about 2 steps and comes in perfect bite-sized proportions!
These are great to make to jumpstart your own supply or as a gift to a new mom! These fudgy lactation brownies are also perfect to keep as part of your breastfeeding station. The small size makes them easy to eat with one hand while you’re nursing your little one!
Click “Jump to Recipe” above to get right on with the recipe card or read on below for how these lactation brownies can give your boobies a boost!
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link. Please see my disclosure for more details.
My Experience With These Lactation Brownies
I preface this post that I didn’t make these for myself! While I’m still nursing Remy only twice a day, my pumping days are long over and I’m no longer concerned with supply. I have a dear friend who is a new mom and I thought these warm lactation brownie boobie bites would make a great gift to boost milk supply!
(Update October 2020: I have made this at least twice a month with my newest baby girl, Liliana!)
However, when I did eat these during my pumping days, I noticed about a 1-2 oz increase in my daily output. I also maximized each pump session with these amazing tips and fixed my slacker boob! I even noticed a difference when collecting let-downs with my silicone breast pump. Every precious drop counts when you’re a breastfeeding or pumping mom!
Thankfully, I had such a good supply that I was able not only to feed and provide for Remy and now Lily (still going, in fact), but I’ve also been able to support other moms and provide breastmilk for their babies. In fact, I have donated over
2000 oz 6,000 oz between my two kids from our large freezer stash!
Simple Recipe For Lactation Brownies
These lactation brownie boobie bites are so simple to make because the main brownie part is from a store-bought box mix! Then all you need to do is add in some vital galactagogues (see below), pour the mix into the muffin tin, and pop them in the oven! Most of the ingredients are found at your neighborhood grocery store, but you may have to search your local health food store for the Brewer’s yeast or buy it online.
What are Galactagogues?
Galactagogues are simply substances that increase milk production. These can be foods, herbs, or drugs. They’re important to include in a breastfeeding or pumping mom’s diet to maintain a healthy breastmilk supply. These brownies include many of these galactagogues in one delicious dessert:
Coconut milk – helps with maintaining hydration. Since breastmilk is 80% water, it is very important to be well-hydrated. Coconut milk and water are great ways to do this. Make sure to get the coconut from the dairy section of the grocery store and not the one you find in the can.
Oats – may be due to increasing iron stores or lowering cholesterol. The mechanism behind oats increasing milk supply is not well known, but there is a lot of anecdotal experience. When I was pumping, I used to eat a bowl of oatmeal made with coconut milk and Brewer’s yeast. I could tell a little bit of difference in my milk output when I ate the oatmeal vs. not eating the oatmeal.
Brewer’s Yeast – again, the mechanism for boosting milk supply isn’t well known. It is known as a super food and is chock-full of proteins, vitamins, and minerals to support a healthy milk supply for breastfeeding or pumping moms.
Flaxseed – can increase breastmilk production since it contains phytoestrogens. Flaxseed also has important fatty acids.
Variations to the Lactation Brownie Recipe
Here are some variations you can consider to add a twist to the original lactation brownie recipe:
- Sea Salt Sprinkle: After baking the lactation brownies, add a sprinkle of coarse sea salt on top. The combination of sweet and salty flavors can create a delightful contrast and enhance the overall taste of the brownies.
- Oat Milk Substitute: Instead of using regular milk in the recipe, you can substitute it with oat milk. Oat milk is a plant-based alternative that adds a creamy texture and a slightly nutty flavor to the brownies. It also aligns well with the lactation theme since oats are known for their milk-boosting properties.
- Chocolate Chip Variation: Add a handful of chocolate chips to the brownie batter before baking. The melty chocolate bits will add extra richness and bursts of sweetness to each bite, making the lactation brownies even more indulgent. Consider using dark chocolate chips or make it double chocolate!
- Nutty Crunch: Incorporate chopped nuts like almonds, walnuts, or pecans into the brownie batter. The nuts will provide a delightful crunch and an added dose of healthy fats and protein to the lactation brownies.
- Flavor Infusions: Experiment with different flavor infusions by adding ingredients like espresso powder, orange zest, cinnamon, or even a hint of chili powder. These additions can elevate the taste profile of the brownies and give them a unique and interesting twist.
- Swirls of Nut Butter: Before baking, dollop spoonfuls of your favorite nut butter (such as almond butter or peanut butter) onto the brownie batter. Use a knife or toothpick to gently swirl the nut butter into the batter, creating beautiful marbled patterns. This addition will introduce a creamy and nutty element to the lactation brownies.
- Coconut Shredding: Sprinkle a handful of shredded coconut on top of the brownie batter before baking. The coconut flakes will toast and turn golden brown, adding both flavor and texture to the lactation brownies.
- Maple syrup: Drizzle some maple syrup on top for a sweet treat!
Remember, these variations are meant to be fun and customizable. Feel free to mix and match ideas or even come up with your own creative twists to make lactation brownies that suit your taste preferences. Enjoy the process of experimenting and savoring these delightful treats!
Frequently Asked Questions about Lactation Brownies
Remember, if you have any concerns about your milk supply or dietary choices while breastfeeding, it’s always best to consult with a lactation consultant or healthcare professional who can provide personalized guidance and support.
Make These Lactation Brownies Today!
I loved making these lactation brownie boobie bites all the time because they are so easy AND they are just scrumptious. Even better, you can’t taste the Brewer’s yeast like you can if you were to make a lactation smoothie or added it to oatmeal.
Let me know if you tried these lactation brownie boobie bites and if they worked for you! Happy lactating!
Here are some other breastfeeding and pumping articles you might like!
Lactation Brownie Boobie Bites
Whether you know a breastfeeding or pumping mom or you are one, these lactation brownie boobie bites are so simple to make and a delicious way to increase breastmilk supply.
- 1 box of your favorite brownie mix
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil or as directed on box
- 1-2 eggs or as directed on box
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 cup Old Fashioned oats
- ¼ cup Brewer’s yeast
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 °F.
Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.
Mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
Fill each muffin tin cup about ⅔ with the brownie batter.
Bake for about 22-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the edge comes out almost clean.
Cool 5 minutes and enjoy!