The Dos and Don’ts of Washing and Caring for your Period Underwear
As a busy mom of two little ones, I’m all of anything that makes my life more convenient. One new innovation that has entered my life are period underwear!
Are you new to period underwear and wondering how to care for them? Period underwear is a great way to keep you feeling comfortable and dry during your period. But, it’s important to know how to properly wash and care for them so they last as long as possible. This blog post will go through the dos and don’ts of washing and caring for your period underwear. And there’s a whole section on frequently asked questions about period underwear!
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link. Please see my disclosure for more details.
What is period underwear?
Period underwear is becoming one of the most convenient and eco-friendly ways to manage your menstrual cycle. And it’s like regular underwear! The only difference is that it features special materials and a unique design to help keep you safe, clean, and leak-free during your period.
How does period underwear work?
So how does period underwear even work? Yes, they look like a regular pair of knickers. But period underwear has many layers of absorbent fabrics. These layers work together to hold onto your menstrual flow and prevent leaks. They may also have moisture-wicking fabrics to keep you fresh and dry!
Also, the many layers are designed to be anti-odor and antimicrobial. And super comfortable for you to wear regardless of the activity you’re engaged in that day.
Benefits of period underwear
Period underwear is an innovative way to help tackle the monthly struggle of managing your period. There are many benefits to adding period underwear to your wardrobe.
- No leaks. Period underwear helps to prevent embarrassing leaks and keep your clothes clean.
- Comfort. The materials used in period underwear are designed with comfort and support in mind. You can stay active without feeling uncomfortable with bulky pads or tampon strings.
- Eco-friendly and sustainable. Disposable menstrual products like pads or tampons generate a lot of waste each month. On the flip side, period underwear is reusable and can be washed and worn again. This is great for the environment as you are lowering your carbon footprint.
And as you know from this blog and my blog posts on cloth diapers, I’m all about eco-friendly options that reduce the waste that ends up in landfills!
So now that you know the benefits of period underwear! Let’s talk about how to care for them properly so they last as long as possible.
How to wash and care for your period underwear
Caring for your period underwear properly is key to making them last. Here are the dos and don’ts of washing and caring for them:
- Wash as soon after wearing as much as possible.
- Check the care instructions on your period underwear before washing. They may be different than your other laundry items.
- After wearing, consider rinsing the gusset under cold running water until the water runs clear.
- Use a gentle detergent when washing your period underwear in the washing machine.
- Make sure to machine wash your period underwear on a cold/warm and delicate cycle. Hot water can damage the fabric and lead to them wearing out quicker.
- Use a mesh bag to protect from snags and tears in the washing machine.
- Hang dry your period underwear after washing rather than using a dryer. This will help them last longer and keep their shape better.
- Don’t use bleach, fabric softeners, or other harsh chemicals on your period underwear as this can damage them.
- Avoid putting your period underwear in the dryer as this heats up the fabric and can cause them to wear out quicker.
- Do not use an iron on your period underwear.
Following these simple steps will ensure that your period underwear stays clean and comfortable for as long as possible.
Period Underwear FAQs
Adding Period Underwear to Your Wardrobe
Period underwear is a great alternative to other period products. They are absorbent, reusable, and eco-friendly. They can be used for postpartum bleeding, swimming, and daily wear. You can hand wash them or machine-wash them with cold water and color-safe detergent. Hang dry is the best way to keep them in good condition.
We hope this article has given you plenty of useful information on period underwear. Period underwear is an excellent alternative to traditional disposable menstrual products and can provide long-term comfort during your period. So, why not give them a try? You won’t regret it!